Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Last Night / This Afternoon

So, we're sitting in the cafe talking to Maysles. Maysles is old and sweet and keep imploring us all to make "documentary poems". But one Czech guy is there and clearly drunk, literally knocking down chairs on his way to the WC.

We are all embarrassed for the old man who has to pretend to ignore the muttering, long haired, (yes!) smelly filmmaker.

Eventually Maysles retreats to his hotel, the rest of us head out for drinks and crazy drunken Peter is along for the ride. Cesky Sen (Czech Dream), a documentary I had wanted to see at Tribeca is discussed. I feel silly for not seeing the movie. Peter doesn't care. Photographic proof:



I end up hanging out with this cool director from Brazil, Coi, whose documentary about life in Sao Paulo plays later in the day after Adolph. He worked for and is friends with the City of God guy. I feel silly for not seeing the movie. We stay out til 3 at the only open bar we can find - Herna Non Stop. (I realize only 3 of you will understand the greatness of Herna Non Stop, and that's OK.)

Today, I got a call from another handler I didn't know I had and was told I could take a tour of a grand old castle outside town. I say sure. I go with Jana, our psuedo tour guide, an two members of the jury. Apparently, they've already made up thier minds and there's no charming them to be done.

It takes an hour by minibus, with numerous near death experiences along the way on these tiny two laned Moravian farm lanes that have somehow evolved into major trucking routes. After an hour, we arrive at the castle. We tour. It's a UNESCO site, so I guess it's really important, but it looks like every other castle to me. It was once the seat of the Austrian throne, back when that was a really big deal. The penultimate stop on the tour is this room:



Which was featured prominently in Amadeus. I feel silly for not seeing the movie.

Tonight is a "birthday" party for the Academy Film Olomouc, which is turning 40. Full report tomorrow.

2 Comments:

At 10:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest Weary Traveler,

What can one say about the Herna Non Stop? From the glow of slot machines to the way-past-drunk Czechs drinking Branik and pondering blowjob offers from gypsies: Oh yes, rock bottom does exist - and they have found it.

 
At 3:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I notice this sentence: "I end up hanging out with this cool director from Brazil, Coi, whose documentary about life in Sao Paulo plays later in the day AFTER Adolph. " Did your movie already screen? How did it go? Omitter!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home